Environmental & Diversity Policies
Appetite Events Environmental Policy Appetite Events is committed to leading the industry in minimising the impact of its activities on the environment.
The key points of its strategy to achieve this are:
• Minimise waste by evaluating operations and ensuring they are as efficient as possible
• Minimise emissions by reducing energy consumption
• Actively promote recycling both internally and amongst its customers and suppliers
• Source and promote a product range to minimise the environmental impact of both production and distribution
• Meet or exceed all the environmental legislation that relates to the Company
• Offset the greenhouse gas emissions generated by our activities
• Setting goals to improve our use of resources
Appetite Events is committed to an ethical purchasing policy by:
• Using seasonal, local and organic ingredients where possible
• Using biodegradable disposables
• Using sustainably sourced ingredients
• Encouraging suppliers to use less packaging
• Reducing food miles
Appetite Events is committed to reducing the amount of waste going to landfill by:
• Recycling paper, toner cartridges, cardboard and packaging in the office
• Reducing paper use by using electronic documents and web based storage
• Recycling cardboard, tin, plastics, glass and cardboard with the aid of our waste management partners
Appetite Events is committed to using energy as efficiently as possible by:
• Ensuring that equipment is regularly serviced
• Ensuring that new equipment is energy efficient
• Reducing water use
Planning for the future
Appetite Events is committed to continuing to improve our environmental credentials. Our environmental initiatives are reviewed monthly at management meetings and improvements are implemented and monitored by our environmental officer.
ENVIRONMENTAL OFFICER: NIGEL KENNEDY/KIRSTY CAMPBELL
Statement updated - July 2018
Appetite Events is fully committed to the elimination of unlawful and unfair discrimination and values the differences that a diverse workforce brings to the organisation.
Principles for valuing diversity
- Because we are committed to being a company where the best people want to work, we champion a comprehensive diversity initiative.
- Because we thrive on growth, we recruit, retain and develop a diverse workforce.
- Because we succeed through performance, we create an environment that allows all employees to contribute to their fullest potential.
- Society is diverse, with people from all cultural and ethnic backgrounds of different ages, beliefs and status. This trend is reflected within our workforce through to our clients/suppliers and end customers.
Our diversity consists of visible and non visible factors which include characteristics such as sex, race, religion, disability, personality, culture, background, age and working styles. Harnessing these differences creates a productive environment where everybody feels valued and their talents are fully utilised.
This policy outlines the principles behind diversity and the actions required for managing diversity as a force in achieving a competitive and motivated workforce. By promoting and encouraging a diverse workforce, Appetite Events will create an environment not only reflective of the communities from which it is drawn, but a workforce that will promote contributions from all employees and sustain competitive advantage through a greater understanding of our customers.
Appetite Events believes that a culture, which encourages the principles of diversity, will assist in the achievement of business strategy and provide growth and success to the business and all its stakeholders.
This policy will encourage an open workplace culture of trust and mutual respect. It moves beyond the laws of discrimination and broadens the concept of equal opportunities by welcoming differences and eliminating bias on the basis of discrimination, which unfairly blocks personal development.
This policy is applicable to all employees, clients, communities, suppliers and contractors, whether permanent or temporary. This policy applies to all processes relating to employment and training and to any dealings with customers and clients. Decisions relating to customers and communities will be based on business-related criteria only and any irrelevant information will not form part of the process.
All employees are responsible for the promotion and advancement of this policy. Behaviour, actions or words that transgress the policy will not be tolerated and will be dealt with in line with the Company disciplinary policy.
To ensure that we do value difference, all of us will be expected to follow the values set out below. This list is not exhaustive but a framework to creating a diverse culture within Appetite Events.
- Understand the fact that we are all different
- View differences as a strength, not a threat
- Value the benefits that individual ideas can bring
- Treat one another with respect, ensuring we do nothing that could undermine a colleague’s dignity
- Learn to understand what others actually believe and value, and let them express this in their own terms
- Respect the convictions of others and do not behave in ways that cause offence
- Avoid imposing ourselves and our views on others
- Not tolerate views which are illegal, immoral or which are expressed in an offensive way
- Recognise that all of us at times fall short of the ideals of our own traditions
- Never compare our own ideals with other people’s practices
- Work to prevent disagreement about personal values leading to conflict
- Not misrepresent or disparage other people’s beliefs and practices
- Correct misunderstanding or misrepresentations not only of our own but also of other beliefs
- Become well informed – if we are not sure, find out more information – think before we act
- Eliminate all forms of prejudice, stereotyping and discrimination from our minds
- Acknowledge that individuals work best when they are able to effectively combine work with their life
- Actively welcome any views that would improve what we do or provide us with new opportunities