Rip it up: The Story of Scottish Pop
Rip it Up: The Story of Scottish Pop at The National Museums of Scotland, Edinburgh
Numbers - 700
The brief - To create an extremely special launch event for a very special exhibition at the National Museum of Scotland - Rip it Up - the first major exhibition dedicated to Scottish pop music, exploring the musical culture of the nation over more than half a century, from influential indie pioneers to global superstars.
As Scotland’s ultimate party creators and in keeping with the exhibition, we set about embracing pop culture and homegrown talent, creating a menu and event focused around a Scottish canapé selection that celebrated the best of Scottish produce. To give you a flavour, these included black pudding and pork belly with burnt apple puree and pickled apple; steak & chips – rare beef with straw fries, fennel salt, heritage tomato served with espuma Béarnaise sauce; curried Finnan Haddie smoked haddock and leek tartlets; hand-dived smoked scallop with sweet corn puree, squid ink and potato tuille; grilled langoustine tail with a lemon aioli dip.
The local ingredients set these canapés apart from any standard offering - not that we ever really do ‘standard’ at Appetite Events. All our events are tailored to the client’s wishes and the Rip It Up event was no exception. Each canapé was created as a showpiece, enhanced by fun and funky dressing and presentation, making use of vintage, hand selected Scottish album covers, posters and other memorabilia from across the decades.
There were sweet treats on offer too - Irn Bru cornetto’s with candied pecans, jam jars of salted caramel and chocolate with honeycomb, as well as an Iconic Scottish Pic ’n’ Mix featuring, Edinburgh rock, Irn Bru bon bons, Highland toffee, tablet, Soor Plooms and Towers of Tunnocks
I just wanted to say a huge thank you for arranging all the catering for the Highland Show – the food was great and the staff were absolutely wonderful. They were exceptionally efficient and really went above and beyond what was required.
The Scottish Canapés included:
* Black Pudding and Pork Belly with Burnt Apple Puree and Pickled Apple
* Quail Breast with Red Cabbage Puree and Crackling
* Rare Beef with Straw Fries, Fennel Salt, Heritage Tomato served with Espuma Béarnaise Sauce
* Curried Finnan Haddie Smoked Haddock and Leek Tartlets
* Belhaven Smoked Salmon Roulade and Lemon and Horseradish
* Smoked Hand Dived Scallop with Sweet Corn Puree, Squid Ink and Potato Tuille
* Grilled Langoustine Tail with a Lemon Aioli Dip
* Compressed Watermelon Salad with Picked Shall, Soused Baby Plum Tomato and Basil (VG, GF)
* Golden Beetroot Rocket and Black Pepper Crowdie Involtini (v)
* Irn Bru Cornetto’s with Candied Pecan
* Jam Jar of Salted Caramel and Chocolate with Honeycombe
We didn’t stop with the canapes: we also created some fun and relevant cocktails to serve the exclusive guest list of 700 music industry experts.
* Eden Mill Negroni King Tuts Cocktail
1 oz. Campari
Gin Eden Mill
Sweet vermouth (Martini & Rossi Rosso or Cinzano Rosso)
* Barrowland Cocktail
Barra’s 75 45ml
15ml lemon juice
7.5ml sugar syrup